Thinking about Veterinary School?

Assumption College Undergraduate

Kaitlyn Poirier, bachelor's in biology student Our #ACacheives campaign features successful Assumption College students and their internships, research projects, jobs and graduate school destinations upon graduation.

Assumption student Kaitlyn Poirier will receive her bachelor’s degree in biology this spring, then attend The Ohio State University School of Veterinary Medicine in the fall. Kaitlyn is thankful for the opportunities and preparation Assumption has given her over the last four years to push her towards admission to and success in veterinary school.

“From the first concepts lab to a 400 level BIO class, I was constantly being challenged to expand my knowledge and think about the natural world in ways I had not before,” Poirer said, “Every professor fostered my dream of one day becoming a veterinarian and was always willing to help me succeed in my studies.”

If you share a dream similar to Kaitlyn’s — to take care of animals, large or small — there are a number of steps you can take now to prepare to pursue such a dream. Because there are only a handful of veterinary schools in the country — fewer than one in every state — veterinary school is one of the most competitive graduate programs. (See the AAVMC for a complete list of these schools.)

It’s important to plan ahead, working with faculty and advisers who can make sure you’re getting the right requirements, getting involved on campus, finding research and observation experiences in an animal hospital or veterinary clinic. And it also means studying hard.

Biology majors complete most of the prerequisite coursework for veterinary school through their regular required coursework, including chemistry, biology, zoology and biochemistry.

Having professors and an adviser who understand the entire process and requirements is a huge benefit.  Professors can work one-on-one with future veterinarians to ensure they are ready for applications, admissions and even the intensity of the graduate school workload.

“Assumption’s classes have instilled in me a fantastic,  concrete understanding of the sciences and the study skills needed for veterinary school,” Kaitlyn said, “In the science department, every single professor strives for the success of their students. I have never seen a more dedicated and heartfelt group of educators. Professor Crowley, in particular, encouraged me to chase this challenging goal. I am grateful for all the support I was given over the last four years.”